DISCLAIMER

The bike kinda builds itself,
all I do is put it together.

DISCLAIMER
The contents of this blog is a record of work carried out by the author and other third party information and pictures gleaned from various sources on the internet. It is published for academic interest and entertainment only. It is neither suggested or intended that any work or modifications shown here are to be carried out by any party reading the blog.

The Hitchcock Rigid Conversion

Mission Statement

This blog has been set up as a record of my attempt to build a cool Bobber style bike out of the Royal Enfield Bullet. With the cost of genuine early British and American bikes and parts spiralling upwards in the face of the current global economic climate, building a retro style custom is rapidly becoming cost prohibitive. Initially, there will be a period of accruing parts and information as the bike I intend to re-create is my daily rider.
I have heard so many horror stories about the Indian made Bullet from people who's mate used to have one, that I have lost count. All I can say is that I have covered over 20,000 miles on mine in the last three and a half years, and feel happy that it is quite capable of doing another 20.
So if you like the idea or just curious, you are welcome to come along for the ride.

Sunday 28 November 2010

Now I Ain't So Sure


Keep looking at the pictures I posted yesterday, and my eye is drawn to the front muddy every time. There's no mistaking that it's a lovely piece and beautifully hand crafted but is it right? It follows the contour of the tyre perfectly, it's the right length and in isolation it looks great. But it's not in isolation on the bike and I feel that it is not really in keeping with the overall look. I'm seriously considering contacting Al at Skeleton Chop Shop and going for a shorter version of what's on the back.
Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated

11 comments:

  1. Are you gonna put a different wheel on the front with the half-width hub? I'm sure that'll give you a clue as to what guard (if any?) will look good on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, good call Peter, there'll be one on there for sure mate, old habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm ? Not less I get another one and stick it on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw in the latest BSH that someone had an XS650 with 2 front wheels on it, i.e. one for and aft - is that where you're coming from with this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah mate, two front muddies more like, central mount on the back only, stripped to the bone !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bones are always good, less flesh to get in the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. if its going to have one.......
    theres nowt wrong with that one
    on the pic of the whole bike it looks well
    its just that your focusing on the front
    does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get ya drift Grant, just that I don't want it to become a niggling doubt at the end

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aye, I know what Grant means by that... like you can get fixated on one aspect and you can't see the whole picture. Trouble is, we are never happy with our own creations, be it bikes, music, art... why can't it look or sound as good to us as it does to others?

    ReplyDelete
  10. QM.. it looks fine mate....

    wait till its nearer complete and then stand back and look ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree - it looks the cats flaps! I guess when things are going slowly and you need to wait for bits you can start thinking all sorts.
    When it's all together the venerable Bullet will be right back on the map and GK, Lowside & Junk will be queuing up. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete